28 May 2020

Some Air You Haven't Breathed With Yet


Selling air seems like a ridiculous idea, but is it? 

Firstly, I need to point out my privilege - I am lucky enough to have access to a private meadow, where wearing a mask is not mandated by law.

Pre pandemic breathing wasn't something I gave much thought, outside of meditation. However, my first deep breaths out of self-isolation were uncanny. Out in the countryside, in my parents' backyard, I realised something was very different. I was no longer re-inhaling the invisible content of my apartment. I was taking in some air I haven't breathed with yet.

This artwork is about value. If and what and why we place it on certain things. To perform inception on people coming across my work I decided to deploy a slightly immoral marketing tactic. We tend to perceive more expensive items to have more value.

Fresh air is not only free (in theory), but also priceless. Lack of a price tag oftentimes gives the impression of the lack of value. I manufactured this illusion in reverse.
My aim with "Some Air You Haven't Breathed With Yet" is to envoke the appreciation for simple yet invaluable sensations and experiences and champion paying attention to them.

If you wish to support me: Patreon and Paypal.me


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reel Poetry

What if my words, the acts of capturing images and putting those together became fun again? Without the heavy weight of professional standar...